Each player character has access to every skill. Some skills are harder to master than other skills, so they start at a lower rank. Each character can distribute 12 points among his or her skills. No skill may start higher than Great.
- Big Guns. This skill is needed to use large weapons like machine guns, rocket launchers or miniature nukes. KABOOM! Starts at Terrible.
- Energy Weapons. You want to zap your enemies with a laser pistol or a plasma rifle? Then this is the skill for you. Starts at Terrible.
- Melee Weapons. Shooting enemies is great, but what do you do when you run out of ammo? Sometimes a nice melee weapon does the trick. Starts at Poor.
- Small Guns. This skill is needed if you want to damage your enemies with bullets. Pew! Pew! Starts at Poor.
- Throwing. Throwing rocks at your opponents never goes out of style. If you want to throw knives, rocks, grenades, or pies you need this skill. Starts at Poor.
- Unarmed. You know, brawling, fisticuffs, martial arts, all this stuff. The skill also allows you to employ fist weapons like knuckledusters or the power fist. Starts at Poor.
- Medicine. When the fighting is done, it’s time to patch up your allies (or what is left of them). Medicine allows you to use to stimpacks, doctor’s bag, perform surgeries etc. The skill starts at Terrible.
- Lockpick. In times when you don’t have a stick of dynamite at your disposal to open pesky doors or uncooperating chests, this skill comes in handy. Starts at Terrible.
- Repair. Someone has to fix things after someone has trashed the place. In those cases this skill comes in really handy. Starts at Poor.
- Science. This skill allows you to work with computers, think about the big questions of the universe, and helps you to impressed the unwashed masses of the wasteland. Starts at Terrible.
- Sneak. You want to get from A to B without being noticed? Then you need this skill. Starts at Poor.
- Steal. You like to obtain things that don’t belong to you? Steal is the skill for you! Please note that it doesn’t help you avoiding the law after you’ve been caught. You’ve been warned! Starts at Poor.
- Traps. This skill allows you to create, find, arm, and disarm all kinds of traps. Its also used when explosives come into play. Starts at Terrible.
- Barter. You are the last family member in a long line of used car salesmen? Then you definitely need this skill. It helps you to get more stuff for your bottlecaps. Starts at Poor.
- Gambling. This skill comes in handy if you want to play card games, dice games, roulette, etc. and even making a buck out of it. Please note that not every gambler plays fair. Starts at Poor.
- Survival. You want to know which animals and plants are safe to eat? You are interested in reading the tracks of animals (and the occasional human)? Then look no further. Survival is your skill of choice. Starts at Poor.
- Speech. The others shoot before they ask questions, but more often than not a little politeness goes a long way – even in the harsh post-apocalyptic wastelands. Starts at Poor.